Bob Lawson, AIF®, CFE®, RFC®, LUTCF
Click here to email
Barrington Capital Management, Inc.
Click for Full Website
3800 American Boulevard W.
Bloomington, MN 55431
Description of Practice
My role is to guide the parties through the mediation process and help them exchange perspectives and information and support them in meeting their mediation goals. I help parties reach solutions collaboratively and respectively, without going to court. I listen to the facts very carefully and I provide the participants an opportunity to be fully heard, then ask the tough questions. My goal is to provide an affordable, less stressful alternative to litigation that will keep the parties in control of their own future. My approach ensures that everyone involved feels satisfied about every outcome. I advance respectful communication, self-determination and creative solutions to problems. I act as a facilitator of the process and allow the parties to develop their own solutions based upon common needs or interests. I tend to avoid suggesting outcomes, believing that the best agreements are those crafted by the parties themselves. Such collaborative agreements are more likely to meet the parties’ substantive, procedural and psychological interests. I am recognized by the Minnesota Supreme Court as a Qualified Neutral under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice as a Mediator and Arbitrator. This entitles me to moderate court appointed pre-settlement hearings.
I am the founder and President of Barrington Capital Management, Inc., a MN based Registered Investment Adviser and Litigation Consulting firm that I established in 1988. I have 32 years of experience in all sectors of the financial services industry ranging from: Financial Adviser, Registered Securities & Option Principal, Executive Management, Supervisory, Money Laundering. I am a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and have been awarded the designations of Certified Fraud Examiner and Accredited Investment Fiduciary. I am am active mediator for the Better Business Bureau of MN and Community Mediation and Restorative Services,Inc. in Minneapolis, MN.
I proudly serve as "Industry" Arbitrator for FINRA since 2009 - I am an unbiased and impartial neutral rendering binding decisions between disputing parties in securities and insurance matters. I am also on the National Futures Association roster as an Industry Arbitrator and serve in a similar capacity regarding commodities and futures contracts. I am an active Mediator for the Better Business Bureau and Minnesota and the Dakotas (BBB) and Community Mediation and Restorative Services. I am also I serve as a Mediator for the Better Business Bureau of Minnesota and Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc. in Minneapolis, MN. I serve as a volunteer for the Better Business Bureau (BBB)of Minnesota and for Community Mediation and Restorative Services, Inc. (CMRS) in Minneapolis, MN. I am an effective and skilled Mediator and passionate about helping parties settle their disputes.
* Hamline Law School - St. Paul, MN Mediation Certificate * Hamline Law School - St. Paul, MN Arbitration Certificate * Qualified through the National Arbitration and Mediation Committee * Certified Fraud Examiner, CFE® Association of Certified Fraud Examiners * Accredited Investment Fiduciary AIF® * Registered Financial Consultant RFC® * Life Underwriters Training Council Fellow (LUTCF) The American College * Completed 8 FINRA Arbitration Courses - though FINRA * Completed FINRA Arbitrator's Chairperson examination * FINRA Registered Options Principal - Series 4 * FINRA General Securities Principal - Series 24 * FINRA Investment Adviser Combination Examination - Series 66 * NFA - Series 3 Examination - Futures and Commodities
|2011||Hamline School of Law||Arbitration - 35 hours|
|2014||Hamline School of Law||Mediation - 35 hours|
|2011||Hamline Law School||MN Rule 114 Training - to be a Quafified Neutral - 6 hours|
|2014||Association of Certified Fraud Examiners||CFE - 125 hours|
|2014||CMRS, Inc.||Restorative Justice Training - 8|
|2015||fi360||Accredited Investment Fiduciary - 40|
|2015||CMRS, Inc.||Mediation | Ethics | Confidentiality - 2|
|2009||Financial Industry Regulatory Authority||Qualfied through the National Arbitration and Mediation Committee as a FINRA Arbitrator|
FACILITATIVE MEDIATION Facilitative mediation is probably the most widely used style of mediation. Emphasis is placed on trying to preserve the relationship between the parties. I act a facilitator of the process and allow the parties to develop their own solutions based upon common needs or interests. I tend to avoid suggesting outcomes, believing that the best agreements are those crafted by the parties themselves. Such collaborative agreements are more likely to meet the parties’ substantive, procedural and psychological interests. I see myself as process expert rather than substantive expert and may bring in other expert professionals as needed to address substantive issues.
My fees are based on the time and complexity and topic of the dispute and are fully disclosed. I also provide pro bono mediation in certain situations, where time permits.
* Our firm, Barrington Capital Managment, Inc. has been an Accredited A+ member since 2003 * Barrington Capital Management is an A.M. Best Recommended Expert Witness Service Provider for 2013, 2014 and 2015. * Bob Lawson, President of Barrington Capital Management has been the recipient of the FIVE STAR Wealth Manager from 2008-2015 * Barrington Capital Management has been nominated twice by the Better Business Bureau for the Small Business Integrity Award.
Areas of Practice
- Employment (1 arbitrated)
- Estate Planning (1 arbitrated)
- Insurance (1 arbitrated)
- Landlord - Tenant
- Professional Fees (1 arbitrated)
- Real Estate (1 arbitrated)
- Securities (8 arbitrated)
- Trust Management
- Communication Skills Trainer
- Mediation Consultant
- Strategic Planning